Academic Internships Programme
Introduction and Aims
The Academic Internship Programme is a school led programme of activities for Year 12 students. The process of applying for the programme is highly competitive; however this ensures that the most appropriate students are selected to take part.
The aims of the Academic Internship Programme are
- To provide a bespoke programme of opportunities and experiences linked to the specialist area
- To enable students to learn more about their subject specialism’s
- To prepare students for their future choices
- For students to build confidence and develop research skills
- Provide a work placement opportunity that will give an insight to the chosen area
- To create challenging opportunities for our most able students
The Academic Internship Programme has 5 internship themes for 2016-2017.
- Medical Sciences – For those interested in careers linked to areas of Medical Science, such as Medicine, Veterinary Science, Pharmacy, Dentistry etc.
- STEM Leadership – For those interested in careers related to Science, Technology, Engineering and Maths
- Law and Politics – For those interested in Law, Politics, public speaking or related careers
- Sport (Coaching and Teaching) – For those interested in sports teaching, sports development, sports science etc.
- Leadership and Management – For those interested in business, leadership, management, project managing etc. One place is supported by the Henry Smith Charity – we thank them for their contribution.
The internship themes identified above are each linked to relevant school partners, as follows:
- Durham University Medical School
- STEM Leadership – 3M
- Law and Politics – Bond Dickinson
- Sport – Middlesbrough Football Club
- Leadership and Management – Northumbrian Water
The schools internship programme is always developing, as are the range of partners we are involved with. As such, the school is always interested to speak to individuals and businesses who may be able to support us in developing this programme further. If you feel you could help, please contact the school at firstname.lastname@example.org
For students who would like to know more about the programme, please email Mrs J Moss, on Jennifer.Moss@fram.durham.sch.uk