Charities Supported by FSD
Charity donations by students of
Framwellgate School Durham
Students in each of the four Houses (Kestrel, Falcon, Hawk and Condor) are encouraged to fundraise for those less fortunate than themselves as a morally right thing to do.
Democratic principles are employed to decide on the particular charity that will receive the funds from the academic year’s fundraising. Students are encouraged to nominate charities and these are put to the house to vote. Sometimes these are charities which are known particularly to individual students as they may have a family member who benefits from the charity. Other charities are nationally well known or are local charities.
Prefect organising groups then decide on the nature of the fundraising events that will take place. They have included cake sales and craft sales held at break times and at parents’ evenings. Sales have also been made at summer and Christmas Fairs. There have also been sponsored walks and bike rides.
This year the shoeboxes have been donated to the local Rotary club.
The school also takes part in national fund raising initiatives such as Children in Need, Comic Relief, Sport Relief and The Royal British Legion Poppy Appeal. On most of these special days a non-uniform day is announced and students donate for the ‘privilege’ of not wearing uniform.
Over the last few years, the students have supported the following charities
- The Bubble Foundation (for babies and children without an immune system)
- Heal and Toe (Local charity for children with Cerebral Palsy)
- Laura Crane Teenage Cancer Trust (suggested by the family of our colleague Derek Sutton when he passed away)
- Cancer Research.
Additional donations from non-uniform days and other whole school fundraising efforts:
- Gateway world shop
- BBC Children in Need
- Salvation Army (As well as gloves, hats and scarfs donated for local homeless people)
- Crisis at Christmas (Newcastle Skylight)
- Saint Anthony’s Priory
- Heal and Toe Local Charity
- Parkinson’s Disease Society
- Farm Africa
- County Durham Benevolent Fund
- Great North Air Ambulance
- Henry Dancer Days
- North East Autism Society
- St Bede’s Fairtrade
- Treetops Children’s Ward
- Red Noses for Schools
- Durham Wildlife Trust
- Macmillan Cancer Research
- St Cuthbert’s Hospice
- The Children’s Society
- If U Care Share
- Brain Tumour Research
- Text Santa
- Charlie Waller Memorial Trust
- Durham Rotary Club
- Save the Children
Since 2015 Framwellgate School has been proud to host a Family Firework Night in aid of Saint Cuthbert’s Hospice