We try to work closely with parents of children on the SEND register, both informally and in formal situations. The Achievement Centre aims to ensure that all parents feel welcome to discuss their child’s needs or concerns whenever a difficulty arises. The first point of contact should be the Director of the Achievement Centre who can be contacted by:
Phone: (0191 386 6628) or
The Student Services Manager and Pastoral Manger for the Achievement Centre are also available to respond to parents on the occasions where the Director is unavailable because of teaching commitments.
Similarly a member of the team will contact parents informally as soon as we are aware of a problem. On a more formal basis communication between the school and home is organised as follows:
- Annual Review Meetings are held for students with an Education, Health and Care Plan.
- Parents of children on the SEND register are kept informed of their child’s progress twice a year through the schools reporting system.
- Parents are invited into school to discuss problems and they are involved in any action we take to resolve the issue.
- Parents are asked to keep us informed of any conditions which are likely to need special consideration.
- Parents are asked to help with extra reinforcement activities at home and such help is also provided by the Achievement Centre if requested by parents.
Parents concerns about SEND provision will always, in the first instance, be dealt with by the Director of the Achievement Centre, but should they wish to take a complaint further, it would be dealt with by a member of the Senior Management Team or the Headteacher. Parents have a right to express their concerns and all complaints are responded to in line with our published Complaints Policy and procedures. Should a parent wish to take matters further, they have the right to forward their complaint to the Governing Body and, if appropriate, the Local Authority.